Field Trips and Workshops
The Burren is a fascinating place for students to discover – whether to consider the built, natural and cultural heritage or the community, economy and conservation. If you would like to give your students a taster of what the Burren has to offer we can offer day trips or school based workshops in the region.
You can start your field trip with an introductory lecture on the Burren, if desired, before visiting some of the Burren’s premier natural and built heritage sites. Students are encouraged and facilitated in their own discovery and activities will be informative and fun. Fieldtrips or workshops can be focused on specific topics or give a broad overview as required.
- An introductory lecture to the Burren, a useful start to any field visit to the region.
- A field orientation session on the Burren giving a good overview of the natural and built heritage of the region.
Below are some options – however, we can tailor your trip in accordance with the needs and interests of your group. For more information please email our team on [email protected] or phone 091 638096.
Please Note: If you are looking to do a field trip to meet the requirements of the Leaving Certificate Geography or Ecology fieldwork investigation project we recommend you contact the Burren Outdoor Education Centre who cater specifically for these projects. See www.burrenoec.com
- Lecture Package (1-2hrs) Visit the Burrenbeo Trust centre in Kinvara and receive a one hour introductory lecture on the heritage of the Burren by one of our onsite experts. This lecture will include an overview of the geology, archaeology, biodiversity, and unique conservation practices of the region. This is a great way to begin your visit to the Burren as it offers your group base information on what they might see in the region. The lecture can cater to the needs and interests of each individual group.
Price: €150 for up to 15 participants
Price: €300 for 16 participants upwards
- Field Trip (2-3hrs) Meet at a nature reserve where you will receive a guided walk with information on overall heritage including ecology, landscape management, geology, biodiversity and archaeology. Burren field trips can be catered to the needs and interests of the group.
Price: €200 for up to 15 participants
Price: €300 for 16 to 30 participants
- Lecture & Field Trip Package (3-5hrs) A lecture as above. This is a great way to start a trip into the Burren, as it gives your group a good base knowledge on what they might see in the region. We will then visit a nearby nature reserve where you will receive a guided walk with information on overall heritage including ecology, landscape management, geology, biodiversity and archaeology. Burren field trips can be catered to the needs and interests of the group.
Price: €350 for up to 15 participants
Price: €550 for 16 to 30 participants
Please note: Prices may be reduced in special circumstances.
Our lecture space: The Burrenbeo Trust Centre
The Burrenbeo Trust Centre is conveniently located in Kinvara, a key entry village into the Burren. The Centre is located just off the main street with nearby access to cafés, B&Bs, supermarkets and an ATM. For larger groups we use a local community venue.
Where do we go in the field? Slieve Carran
Slieve Carran Nature Reserve (or Eagle’s Rock as it is known to locals) is state-managed land located in the heart of the north Burren. It has a diversity of habitats including species-rich grassland, limestone pavements, heathland, mature hazel woodland and grazing pastures. This makes it ideal to understand the diversity and abundancy of flora and fauna, and well as the landscape management needed for this area. Aside from its ecological learning value, Slieve Carran NR is also the host to a fulacht fiadh, a holy well, the site of a hermitage cave and a 11th century oratory.
Other sites that can be visited are Mullaghmore, the iconic Burren mountain, Cahercommaun, one of Ireland’s finest examples of a ringfort, or the smooth limestone pavements of Blackhead.
The Burrenbeo Trust team are here to help you get the highest learning value out of your excursion. Please contact us for any queries on booking and tailor making your trip for your group’s needs.
Contact Us: For further information on any of the above contact our team on [email protected] or 091 638096