‘I never realised I was from such an amazing place, I am proud to be from here’
Áitbheo Junior is a place-based learning programme which was designed, developed and delivered by Burrenbeo Trust. It was developed and piloted in Spring 2017 and is was the evolved successor to the Ecobeo programme that had been delivered in local primary schools for the previous 10 years. The objective of Áitbheo Jnr is to contribute to an increased sense of awareness, informed pride and responsibility for an individual’s place amongst its residents. And to encourage a sense of active stewardship going forward for both their community and environment, and the wider community and environment..
Burrenbeo Trust feel that this is a wonderful investment in both the students and also in the local place itself, as these young experts will be the future guardians of our outstanding national resource, namely in this region, the Burren.
- During 10 sessions of approximately two hours each of the students and teachers will investigate their local place and their role in its future.
- Covering many elements of the curriculum, the course provides a hands-on and fun learning experience with each child graduating from the course as Young Place Heroes with a huge bank of knowledge about their immediate place and community.
- Specifically–built modules around the local geology, archaeology, history, flora, fauna, culture and active conservation which address elements of the SESE History, SESE Geography, SESE Science, numeracy and literacy curricula and more.
- A team of experienced educators delivering the combination of classroom and field based activities to create a fun learning experience.
- An emphasis on active learning with Burrenbeo supplying additional learning materials and supports.
- A fun field trip into the Burren to explore all that was learned.
- A community showcase ceremony enabling the children to demonstrate their knowledge in the field and to their family and friends and graduate as Young Burren Experts.
How to apply
The course is targeted at 5th and 6th classes, but may be extended to include other classes if necessary. Optimal numbers of participants would be approximately 25-30 children.
The number of schools in any one year varies subject to available resources – Áitbheo is delivered at no cost to the participating schools or parents. The programme is a 10 week series of workshops. Scholarship calls are publicised at the end of each school year whereby the top classes of the school should send in a application explaining why they would like Áitbheo to come to their school. To register interest or for more information contact Áine on 091 638096 or email@example.com.
What they said
All the tutors were excellently prepared, pitched their content at a level the children understood, came laden with resources and beautifully presented powerpoints. I enjoyed each lecture immensely and the follow up activities. Teacher, Oranmore
Thank you Ecobeo – I learnt lots and have much more interest and knowledge on the Burren than ever before! Ecobeo Graduate, Fanore
This course is extremely beneficial to the children. It fosters an interest and appreciation of the ‘place’ where they live from a young age. Hence they will have a connection to and are able to discuss issues with their peers and parents. It is so rewarding to see the learning that took place, we appreciate the commitment of the Trust to carry this out. Teacher, Fanore