‘I never realised the Burren was such an amazing place, I am proud to be from there’
Ecobeo is a place-based learning programme which was designed, developed and delivered by Burrenbeo Trust, to the benefit of over 1200 primary level students and their teachers in the Burren over the last decade. The objective of Ecobeo is to contribute to an increased sense of awareness, informed pride and responsibility for this place – the Burren – amongst its future custodians.
Burrenbeo Trust believe that the Burren is Ireland’s greatest learning landscape or ‘outdoor classroom’ but also that local communities should be the first to benefit from the learning potential of this special place. Burrenbeo Trust feel that this is a wonderful investment in both the students and also in the Burren itself, as these young experts will be the future guardians of this outstanding national resource.
- Fun and interactive, specifically–built modules around local geology, archaeology, history, culture, flora, fauna and conservation.
- A team of experienced educators delivering the combination of classroom and field based activities to create a fun learning experience.
- An emphasis on content revision and active learning with Burrenbeo supplying additional learning materials and supports.
- A fun field trip into the Burren to explore all that was learned.
- A community showcase ceremony enabling the children to demonstrate their knowledge in the field and to their family and friends and graduate as Young Burren Experts.
How to apply
The number of schools in any one year varies subject to available resources – Ecobeo is delivered at no cost to the participating schools or parents. The programme is a 10 week series of workshops. Scholarship calls are publicised at the start of each school year. To register interest or for more information contact Áine on 091 638096 or email@example.com.
What they said
All the tutors were excellently prepared, pitched their content at a level the children understood, came laden with resources and beautifully presented powerpoints. I enjoyed each lecture immensely and the follow up activities. Teacher, Oranmore
Thank you Ecobeo – I learnt lots and have much more interest and knowledge on the Burren than ever before! Ecobeo Graduate, Fanore
This course is extremely beneficial to the children. It fosters an interest and appreciation of the ‘place’ where they live from a young age. Hence they will have a connection to the Burren and are able to discuss issues with their peers and parents. It is so rewarding to see the learning that took place, we appreciate the commitment of the Trust to carry this out. Teacher, Fanore