Communities for Heritage – sharing journeys of exploration and action by communities across Ireland
Gort Town Hall, in Gort, Co. Galway, Saturday June 17th 2023
Join us for a very special day out to get some ideas and inspiration about what you can do enhance your local environment by witnessing what others have done and hearing ideas from a range of experts. Includes:
- A delicious feast
- Wonderful walks
- Inspiring talks
This one day event will also include networking opportunities for community groups and volunteers while considering wider questions around climate change, biodiversity loss, community fragmentation and more. Each volunteer / community group member will have the chance to showcase what they are doing in their local area with other like-minded groups from across the country. This event will also celebrate the projects completed by Heritage Keepers programme participants. A delicious vegetarian lunch and dinner are included.
Who should attend
Anyone looking to take action in their community including individuals or those involved in the following groups; community heritage groups, community biodiversity groups, Heritage Keeper programme participants, tidy towns groups, community development organisations, conservation volunteers, resident associations.
09.30 Tea & Coffee (optional)
10.00 – 12.00 Fieldtrips (chose one)
- Working together for the Burren – Burren Conservation Volunteers
- Growing native plants from seed and cuttings – Irish Seed Savers
- Mobilising the local community – Gort River Walk Project
- Bringing the past to life – Community run Kiltartan Gregory Museum and Thoor Ballylee Castle
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch and networking – groups display their information
14.00 – 16.00 Short presentations followed by Q and A
- How you can help barn owls – Barn Owl Project Ireland
- Getting started with local oral history – Clare Memories Project
- Focusing on celebration – the potential for community festivals – Áine Bird, Burrenbeo Trust
- Etched in Stone – Susan Garrett, Johnston Historical Society
- Growing Together, community gardens; a how to – Dee Sewell, Greenside Up
16.00 – 17.00 Heritage Keepers showcase
17.00 – 18.00 Walking tour around Gort town (optional)
18.00 – 19.30 Community feast
Tickets are 10 euro, including lunch and dinner. Important: if the ticket cost will be a barrier to you attending this event please get in touch ([email protected]).
If travelling from afar please note that morning fieldtrips and evening dinner are optional, just let us know if you want to attend, but won’t make the full day.