- Give an introduction to place-based learning and it’s application in education and community settings.
- Begin development of the skills and resources to deliver a place-based programme in participants own place.
- Explore skills on observing, questioning, predicting, investigating, designing and communicating around local natural, built and cultural heritage.
- Provide access to resources such as podcasts, workbooks and other resources that will assist in developing and delivering a place-based programme.
- Help connect with the magic of outdoor learning in a fun and interactive way.
Where does the training take place
The training is a combination of indoor-based teaching (Kinvara) and fieldtrips (Burren).
9.30am-12.30pm: The morning sessions are based in Kinvara. This will be a mixture of subject-specific learning with interactive activities.
Kinvara is an attractive seaside village on the edge of Galway Bay that acts as a gateway to the Burren. Famous for its music sessions, 15th century Dunguaire Castle and of course home to the Burrenbeo Trust. Visit www.kinvara.com for more information about Kinvara.
1.30pm-4pm: The afternoon sessions are fieldtrips out to different locations in the Burren. Instructions on getting to these sites will be given on the day. The option to follow a member of staff from Kinvara will also be available. We do encourage car sharing during the trips however transport is not available so please discuss options with other teachers on arrival.
How to get there
Take the N18 towards Limerick. Approximately 15kms outside Galway in Kilcolgan village, take a right onto the N67. After 10km you will arrive into Kinvara village. When you get to the thatched Merriman Hotel at the top of street, take a right here. The Burrenbeo Trust office is half way down on the right hand side. It is a stone fronted building with a blue door.
Take the M18 towards Galway. At Gort town take the N18 going north, again towards Galway. After 11km in Ardrahan village, take a turning to the left. Continue straight for approximately 9kms until you arrive in Kinvara. At the t-junction take a left and enter the village. When you get to the thatched Merriman Hotel at the top of street, take a right here. The Burrenbeo Trust office is half way down on the right hand side. It is a stone fronted building with a blue door. There are slightly quicker ways; we just don’t want you to get lost before you arrive! However, if you have a good map, feel free to turn off the N18 at either Crusheen or Gort going west.
Take the M6 to Galway. On arrival at the first roundabout on the outskirts of Galway, take the N18 towards Limerick. At Kilcolgan village take a right on the N67. After 10km you will arrive into Kinvara village. When you get to the thatched Merriman Hotel at the top of street, take a right here. The Burrenbeo Trust office is half way down on the right hand side. It is a stone fronted building with a blue door.
9.30-10am Introduction to the course & each other
10am-12.30pm Place & landscape
Exploring built heritage from the classroom
1.30-4pm The past and future of our places (Slieve Carran Nature Reserve)
Sun 21st July BIODIVERSITY & CULTURAL HERITAGE
9.30am-12.30pm Looking at local biodiversity
Piecing people and culture into your work
1.30-4pm Using your senses in the field (Garryland Nature Reserve)
- Gráinne Barron is a programmes officer with the Burrenbeo Trust, working on Áitbheo delivery in schools and the community. Gráinne has also worked as a researcher focused on the development of an Integrated Catchment Management Toolkit encompassing outdoor environmental education and GIS mapping. With a masters in Sustainable Resource Management, Gráinne also works in environmental consultancy focusing on hydrology/hydrogeology.
- Kate Lavender is the Education and Conservation Officer for Burrenbeo Trust, she is in charge of the Burren Wild Child outdoor learning programme for primary schools. Prior to Burrenbeo, she was a Geography teacher. She is a member of the national Heritage in Schools panel.
Please note: This weekend course does not qualify for teachers EPV days.
I’m a Heritage in Schools specialist, do I get a discount?
Please contact Maria Walsh directly (email@example.com) if you are a Heritage in Schools specialist and wish to attend.
What happens if I cannot attend?
For those unable to attend, a substitute participant may be sent at any time for no additional charge. However, please confirm the name change to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours before the event. Alternatively a refund will be given for cancellations received in writing or by email, up to 7 days prior to the event. Regrettably no refunds can be made after that date.
Need more information contact email@example.com or call 091 638096.